The Tivoli gardens of Paris were located at what is the current site of the Saint-Lazare station. These were several similarly named gardens, named after the gardens of the Villa d’Este in Tivoli near Rome, of which none remain today. In 1766, in this location, one of the sons of the wealthy Boutin, a farmer-general, had several houses built in a park of eight hectares. The Folie Boutin quickly became known for its splendid gardens. In 1794, during the Reign of Terror, it was put under sequestration. In 1795, the Folie Boutin reopened to the public, formally taking the name of Tivoli and becoming the ancestor of amusement parks. Following the damage caused by the bivouacking of the troops of Napoleon before their departure for Spain, it was closed on 30 August, 1810. Another Folie, located in the immediate neighborhood, was inaugurated on 30 April, 1810, and became the second Tivoli. This Tivoli disappeared in 1825, after an evening party given for Charles X’s coronation on 7 June. On 2 February, 1826, the Boutin heirs sold the land, which became the district of Europe. Étienne-Gaspard Robert opened the third Tivoli in 1826, which survived until 1842 when the rue Ballu and other streets were constructed. The print measures 30 x 40 cm / 12 x 16 inches and has a black mount and a 2 cm black frame.
|Dimensions||43 × 53 cm|